Cyber adversaries are regularly coming up with sophisticated tools and technologies and innovating at a faster pace than what enterprises today can cope with. Let’s see why it’s high time and how to go about getting a job in cybersecurity. How much money can you make? In this article, you’ll explore what the critical Cyber Security certifications are and Cyber Security courses to get rapid career growth.
The recent surge of cyberattacks has throttled the digital world, by which organizations have not only lost their valuable information assets but also made financial and reputational losses. For this reason, cyber security is paramount in every organization’s management decision-making today. Ever-increasing cyber security breaches, resource crunch, and a shortage of talented information security professionals have left the management in limbo as they continue to struggle to find the right mix of people. It is not surprising to note that organizations lose over $8.19 million to data breaches on average. This is induced by a remarked deficit of network security professionals in comparison to the ever-rising population of cyber adversaries.
Some Recent Breaches That Will Leave You Thinking
- Data breach at Yahoo: Considered as one of the biggest data thefts of the decade, the Yahoo data breach of 2013 led to the compromising of 3 billion user accounts.
- Data breach at Marriott International: Yet another data breach that will leave you astounded is the one that took place at Marriott International in 2018. This hacking attack stole the confidential data of over 500 million customers of the hotel chain.
- WannaCry attacks: The ransomware WannaCry has been able to collect over $100,000 from organizations and people across the globe.
If these statistics aren’t enough, an attacker is sitting in some corner of the world, launching the next major cyberattack, and you need to stop these cyber security breaches with your skills and efforts!
How In Demand Is The Field Of Cyber Security?
Considering the present scenario where job opportunities are lying ungrabbed in the field of cyber security, you can well imagine its absorption capacity! Research shows that the unfilled job positions in cyber security are to go up to 3.5 million in the coming decade as compared to 1.4 million in 2014. Here’s how to decide whether this dynamic field is the one for you:
- A vibrant and appealing job opportunity: Working in the field of network security ensures freedom from monotony as it’s filled with variety. No case you handle is ever going to be a replica of another. The field is dynamic, and you are sure to love the mind games that await you.
- Financial Stability: The best part about a career in cyber security is the money that comes with it, and there is practically no limitation on it if you’re the master of your trade. The average pay is 50% higher than any private-sector job.
- Thrill & uncertainty: Going for work will seem like going on a treasure hunt every day. It’s an adventurous experience for all, no matter which sector you specialize in.
- Testing your skills every other day: Since a career in cyber security demands knowledge on different skill-sets, your experience of years in various fields comes handy now, and you can adequately utilize all your specialized skills.
The Number Of Open Job Vacancies And The Expected Growth Of The Field
It is a known fact that the industry crisis in the field of cyber security is immense. The expected underemployment in the field is likely to reach 3.5 million by 2021. Therefore, it’s safe to say the platform remains open for cyber enthusiasts to perform, excel, and prosper. The industry has zero rates of unemployment and promises to be a field with endless opportunities and measureless growth.
- Two million openings expected in the Asia-Pacific region by 2021, and about 400,000 will be in Europe.
- Currently, there are 314,000 unfilled cyber security positions in the USA. The U.S. had over 26,000 openings for cyber security analysts at the end of 2018.
Why Is Security Becoming More Important As Technology Advances?
While all marvel at the quick transition of activities from offline to online that has happened in almost every walk of life. There is a significant threat that comes along with this technological advancement. All information is at the tip of your fingers – from your insurance policy number to your credit card details! Imagine what will happen if a malicious third party accesses these details? It is precisely why cyber and network security has become more critical in recent times.
How Much Money Can I Make In Cyber Security?
Any role in the field of cyber security promises to pay extremely well as compared to any other private-sector job. Not only does this job pay well, but it also ensures that you like your work and draw some positive learning experience out of it that helps you in the long run. That being said, you can easily expect a 6 figure job as you work your way up through the industry.
Thus, a career in cyber security that is established with established cyber security certifications, hands-on training, and cyber security courses is one of the most secure career options now. It is expected to remain true for at least another decade. Especially the field of Artificial Intelligence-Machine Learning (AI ML) in cyber security, the combination of Data Science & AI-ML in enhancing SIEM tools & solutions, etc., is yet to be fully explored, and most job opportunities lie unabsorbed in the area. Getting a job in cyber security always offers lucrative salaries with new and diverse career responsibilities.
To learn more about NexGenT’s Cyber Security program and what fundamental skills we teach to help you land your first job in cyber, click here. Thank you for reading and leave us a comment below with your thoughts on diving into this line of work.