FSNE: Network Fundamentals (CCNA)
In the Network Fundamentals module we cover all of the most basic and foundational concepts such as bits and Bytes, MAC addresses and IP Addresses, Hubs, Switches, Routers, ARP, DNS, and TCP/IP.
- Welcome (1 min)
- Welcome to the Network Fundamentals module!
Cables and Connectors - 37 minutes
- Common Cables (23 min)
- In this lesson we’ll break down all the most common cables you will see in the field.
- Common Connectors (14 min)
- You can’t use cables without connectors!
Introduction to Ethernet and Switching - 42 minutes
- Bits, Bytes, and Ethernet Frames (17 min)
- Let’s get introduced to the world of Networks!
- What is a MAC Address (13 min)
- Now that you have an idea about Ethernet Frames let’s dissect a MAC address.
- Hubs vs. Switches (12 min)
- With an understanding of MAC Addresses, you are now ready to learn about the main difference between a Hub and a Switch!
Introduction to IP and Routing - 67 minutes
- IP and a Brief History (15 min)
- Let’s find out how it all started with Internet Protocol.
- The IP Address (13 min)
- The IP address – let’s break it down!
- Routing Packets and Datagrams (14 min)
- With an understanding of IP we can learn how IP Packets are routed from one network to another.
- Real World IP Routing (15 min)
- And, just what is a real IP Router? Let’s find out!
- Assigning an IP Address (10 min)
- How do we put an IP address on a computer? Let’s find out!
Core Concepts - 36 minutes
- ARP, Gratuitous ARP and RARP (12 min)
- Let’s dissect this protocol we can’t get by without – Address Resolution Protocol.
- Diagram of an ARP Request (5 min)
- Here, we will see exactly how ARP requests and ARP replies are used to build the ARP cache.
- The Domain Name System (14 min)
- Here we will learn about another crucial technology to your everyday web browsing experience – DNS!
- Diagram of a DNS Request (5 min)
- And, in this short lesson we will make sure you understand exactly what a DNS Request is.
TCP, UDP and Ports - 59 minutes
- Ports (15 min)
- What are TCP and UDP Ports? We’ve got to understand these before we can truly understand the TCP and UDP protocols themselves.
- Transmission Control Protocol (10 min)
- Good old Transmission Control Protocol!
- User Datagram Protocol (5 min)
- And, we must not forget about User Datagram Protocol.
- Real World TCP (29 min)
- Now, let’s look at some actual TCP ports using the netstat command.
Guidance and Motivation
The program is created by engineering veterans who worked at Cisco, Arista Networks, top VARs, and in the U.S. Air Force. The founders have trained over 1000+ engineers for the military and built this curriculum from the ground up in order to make you job and mission-ready!
Over 40+ years of combined industry experience have been poured out into our Full Stack Network Engineering program to take anyone from Zero to Engineer in 14 to 24 weeks.
I’m a Network Engineer, Entrepreneur, and Air Force veteran who is passionate about computer networking, education, and high performance teams. I enjoy people, teaching, learning, business, and cutting edge technology.
20 years in the computer networking industry that has included campus enterprise and Service Provider backbone support. Headed up the problem management team overseeing troubleshooting for all high profile issues at AT&T. Began teaching Cisco networking as a Cisco Netacad Instructor in 2007. My focus is to get students CCNA certified.
I am a Network, Collaboration, and Automation Engineer with a passion for helping others become their technical best. I have worked with and taught technology for over twenty years. Learning Cisco and becoming certified change my life. I am committed to helping others do the same.