Module 3: Core Protocols & Network Models
What You’ll Learn
✓ Here we introduce TCP, UDP, Ports, DNS, and the OSI + TCP/IP model.
- Welcome (8 sec)
- Get ready to learn about the protocols at the core of networking and the different network models behind modern networking.
TCP, UDP and Ports - 30 minutes
- Ports (14 min)
- What are TCP and UDP Ports? We’ve got to understand these before we can truly understand the TCP and UDP protocols themselves.
- Transmission Control Protocol – TCP (10 min)
- Good old Transmission Control Protocol!
- User Datagram Protocol – UDP ( 5 min)
- And, we must not forget about User Datagram Protocol.
Core Protocols - 31 minutes
- DNS – The Domain Name System (14 min)
- Here we will learn about another crucial technology to your everyday web browsing experience – DNS!
- Diagram of a DNS Request (6 min)
- And, in this short lesson we will make sure you understand exactly what a DNS Request is.
- Core protocols (11 min)
- There’s a few protocols that we need to make sure you completely understand. Let’s get down with some Telnet, SSH, ICMP, FTP and TFTP!
Networking Models - 51 minutes
- The OSI Model – Intro to OSI and the 7 Layers (12 min)
- We’ll begin breaking down the OSI model by learning about the 7 layers.
- The OSI Model – Passing Through the Layers (5 min)
- Now that we know what the 7 layers are we can see how data looks as it moves through each layer of the OSI model.
- The OSI Model – Devices and Protocols in OSI (16 min)
- In this lesson, we will look at the OSI model from the perspective of different network devices and the layers at which they function.
- The OSI Model – Remembering the Layers (4 min)
- We’ll wrap up the lessons on the OSI model with some ways to remember the layers from bottom to top and top to bottom.
- The TCP/IP Model (14 min)
- Now that we understand OSI we can quickly deconstruct the TCP/IP Model.
Guidance and Motivation
The program is created by engineering veterans who worked at Cisco, Arista Networks, top VARs, and in the U.S. Air Force. The founders have trained over 1000+ engineers for the military and built this curriculum from the ground up in order to make you job and mission-ready!
Over 40+ years of combined industry experience have been poured out into our Cyber Security Specialist program to take anyone from Zero to Engineer in 14 to 24 weeks.
I’m a Network Engineer, Entrepreneur, and Air Force veteran who is passionate about computer networking, education, and high performance teams. I enjoy people, teaching, learning, business, and cutting edge technology.
Pat Gorman, is a lover of all things tech-related & learning something new every day is his motive. Pat is a huge sports guy and plays soccer and hockey weekly. He enjoys teaching and spreading cybersecurity and other IT knowledge to the world. He holds quite a few IT certifications under his belt